Monday, December 22, 2008

So this is Christmas...

Or rather, it will be in a couple of days.

To be honest, this year is not what I had hoped it would be. Me and DW have been trying very hard to keep with the holiday spirit and maintain a level of cheeriness that we are accustomed to, but for some reason it just doesn't "feel" like Christmas to me. Maybe it's issues we've been having in the RL world having to do with a car accident that occured a month ago (well, accident is being nice. In reality it was a car slaughter since our car was parked when some stupid woman smashed into it head on...), or maybe it's just because of all the other troubles going on in the world around this time.

I really don't know any of that. All I do know is that this year, Christmas will be thrifty. Gifts will be handmade with inexpensive enhancements meant to personalize them, and hopefully everyone that receives them will enjoy them. I think they will. I like to think that my family prefers handmade seeing as those kinds of gifts really require more thought, time and care than just going to the store and buying them. And this happens to coincide with my decision to make the handmade pledge this year, so that's good news! However, me and DW have decide to hold off on exchaning gifts between us this year until the end of January. It's kind of sad, because I hate not giving my wife anything to open on Christmas...but in a way it's not.

I suppose in retrospect, despite my lack of Christmas spirit, I'm reminded of what Christmas really is about. It's not about toys and glitter, and all the lights and sparklies (although we do have lights and sparklies thanks to our pretty tree all lit up in our parlor), it's about family and friends and spending time with the people you care about. I may not get a gift from DW this year, but I will get my wife's company, and the fact that I have her is amazing to me, and I'm thankful for it. Also, we are getting a new puppy soon, so that, in a way , is a Christmas gift for both of us. I still plan on getting her at least some little stocking stuffers though, so that way she has something to enjoy from me. :)

So, on the handmade scene, I've been baking and candy-making up a storm. I'm going making my homemade marshmallows, some peppermint pinwheels , and some fudge.

So far, I've made the marshmallows and that's it...but the rest will be done in due time. I've got a couple of days. :) And if I can find the other box of gelatin I have kicking around somewhere, I'll be making some peppermint marshmallows with some crushed candycanes in them for additional gifts for family and friends that I couldn't afford to make baskets for.

On top of all that, I still have to make meltaways and pb&J sandwich cookies...dunno if they want me to make rolls or not.

So what the hell am I doing here? I gotta get cracking!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We did similarly this year. Homemade chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate covered potato chips (Chippers), caramel popcorn, DrPepper peanut brittle, and photos of our daughter printed from home.

It doesn't have to be elaborate or spendy gifts. Sometimes, it's simply the ones that you put time, effort, and thought into that matter more.

Merry Christmas!

yarnpiggy said...

I'll 'fess up to buying gifts this year, but I've also done some knitting. And my list is *very* short: just two people. :-)

I think the Handmade Pledge is a wonderful thing; if I can get organized earlier next year, I'm going to aim for as many knitted gifts as possible.

I know the meltaway recipe is top-secret, but please post a picture of them when they're done! :-)

Merry Christmas!

Lindsay said...

Peppermint marshmallows sound like a pretty fabulous gift to me! I agree with Glyphrunner: the enjoyment that comes from gifts is the most important thing, and the fact that you will enjoy making the gifts you give, and people will enjoy receiving them and using them is what really makes them great gifts.

Also, Dr. Pepper peanut brittle? Sounds weirdly fantastic!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

All your homemade and handcrafted efforts feel perfectly fitted to the sean to me!

Enjoy! Merry, merry! And have a fan-freakin'-tastic flip of the calendar!

Peace.